Re: Task-based vs. System-Based Procedures

Subject: Re: Task-based vs. System-Based Procedures
From: "Bell, John" <JBell -at- paragren -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2000 10:10:39 -0500

Bill Hartzer asks:

> In regards to computer software, what is the difference between
> task-based procedures and system-based procedures?
>
> Also, could you provide an example of each?
>
> We use task-based procedures when documenting our computer software,
> but am struggling to explain the difference between the two.

I don't know what you mean by "system-based" (system is such an
ambiguous word), but I frequently contrast function-oriented writing
to task-oriented writing.

In function-oriented writing you explain how the gas pedal works, how
the gearshift works, and how the steering wheel works. In task-oriented
writing you explain how to back the car down the driveway.

Enjoy!
--- John Bell
jbell -at- paragren -dot- com