Re: Large help system - we need help

Subject: Re: Large help system - we need help
From: Sandy Harris <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: temoore -at- bellsouth -dot- net
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2000 10:54:45 -0500

temoore -at- bellsouth -dot- net wrote:

> ... However, we suspect that a
> database-based system would be best since this system will only grow
> and grow.

Phil Greenspun's book is supposed to be the bible on this type of thing.

http://www.photo.net/

I haven't read it, but several people I respect say it is excellent and
the stuff on his web site lives up to that.

> The final destination for the system is our company intranet. It doesn't
> matter if the file has to be downloaded, but we'd prefer it to be viewed
> in a browser. We do require a contents page and a search function for
> the system.

Have a look at the Amaya browser/editor from w3c.org. That gives you
abiltity to build a "book" from a set of smaller HTML files, and to
automatically produce linked table of contents, insert section numbers
if you want them, ... It is free, binaries for Windoze and some Unices,
source available so you might be able to put it on other systems.

> If there are consultants out there who could help us figure out how best
> to deploy our system, the company may be interested in hiring you. :-)

Greenspun does both consulting and training.