RE: New Hires

Subject: RE: New Hires
From: "McFerren, Sean" <sean -dot- mcferren -at- et -dot- pge -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 16:10:04 -0600

Mark Baker wrote:

> Tool training has no place in a degree program. No self respecting
> university should give a degree for mastering a software package.
>
> In any case, if a technical writing candidate asks for tool training it is
> sure sign they don't have what it takes to be a technical writer. If you
> can't figure out how to work a software package by yourself, how will you
> ever learn about the new products you will be documenting? There won't be
> any manuals or training available until you write them!

Tool training and a university giving a degree for mastering a software
package are different things. Of course, a degree for mastering a software
package is ridiculous. However, some tool training can be appropriate.

As part of my communication program, I took a course in advanced PhotoShop
techniques. PhotoShop is a very in-depth program. Having access to an
experienced graphic artist really shortened the learning curve. I also
learned about design principles, in general, and how to apply those
principles in PhotoShop.

Sean McFerren
Senior Technical Writer
PG&E Energy Trading
sean -dot- mcferren -at- et -dot- pge -dot- com
http://www.pge-energy.com

PG&E Energy Trading and any other company referenced herein which uses the PG&E name or logo are not the same company as Pacific Gas and Electric Company, the California utility. These companies are not regulated by the California Public Utilities Commission, and customers do not have to buy products from these companies in order to continue to receive quality regulated services from the utility.