RE: e-books and heritage

Subject: RE: e-books and heritage
From: Roy Jacobsen <rjacobse -at- GreatPlains -dot- com>
To: "'PHILA -at- Mail -dot- VIPS -dot- com'" <PHILA -at- Mail -dot- VIPS -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 11:47:14 -0600

A couple of years ago, at the InfoOnline conference in Chicago, the keynote
speaker was Douglas Adams (of "Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" fame), and
he drew the analogy between what's going on now (with the move to online
information) and what happened when the library at Alexandria burned.

The burning of the library at Alexandria was a huge blow to the "information
economy" of the time, because so many written works were lost for all time,
and hence, so much knowledge was lost.

How is that analogous to what we face today? There is a huge amount of
information buried in print. We are beginning to transfer it online, but
we're also producing gobs of new stuff, and the vast majority of the old
stuff is _staying_ in print. Therefore, maintaining what is now on paper is
of paramount importance, because once it's lost, it is lost forever. (Adams
also pointed out that, due to this, what we technical communicators do is
also of paramount importance, because we have a large influence on how
online information is modeled. But that's another story.)

Regards,
Roy M. Jacobsen
Documentation Supervisor
Great Plains
1701 38th Street Southwest
Fargo, ND 58103
USA

"[The Y2K bug] was sorta like dodge ball. You hardly ever get hit by the
ball you see." -- Patricia Jacobsen (age 12)