PDFs & Article Threading

Subject: PDFs & Article Threading
From: Robert Kennedy <RKennedy -at- fastlane -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2000 13:33:37 -0400

A challenge concerning PDFs

Scenario:

Using FrameMaker 5.5, I maintain seven manuals that represent various
components of a software product. Periodic software updates every few months
can affect any or all of these manuals. As constantly reprinting the manual
set is costly, it has been proposed that I provide PDFs between major
releases. For each software update, the permanent documentation would be
revised where applicable and a PDF generated. All seven PDFS would be made
available to new and existing clients, along with a "What's New In This
Release" PDF.

My question is this:

Within the PDFs, I can use hyperlinks in the "What's New" PDF to jump to the
revised/new text in the permanent documentation PDFs. But what I need to be
able to do is to print the "What's New" PDF including the revised/new text
from the permanent documentation. I've found references to something called
article threading - will it support this? Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated as, to play a familiar tune, I only have a few days in which to
resolve this.

Many thanks!
Robert

> Robert F. Kennedy
> Technical Writer
>
> FastLane Technologies Incorporated
> Phone: (902) 423-8160 ext. 2011
> Fax: (902) 902-421-5356
> Mail: mailto:rkennedy -at- fastlane -dot- com
> Web: http://www.fastlane.com

"FastLane DM/Consolidator - industry's first on-line data migration
solution for Windows NT/Windows 2000 networks! FREE download at
http://www.fastlane.com/products/dmconsolidator/.";