Re: textbook interview-ees

Subject: Re: textbook interview-ees
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 09:55:37 +0100

Hello Karen...

Usually, I try to keep a low profile, but I may be an
interesting subject - maybe not. I'm a technical writer of
13 years (I think), and have been contracting for the last
1.5 years. What's interesting about me is that I moved with
my family to Spain, and I work entirely via remote. I make
a little less money than I used to, but I spend less, and
the coffee here is *real* good.

Ok, so my point is that I believe telecommuting is just
about to hit in a serious way. In the old industrial days,
companies had to develop and/or pay for the infrastructure
to move their materials. In the information industry, the
materials are bits, and indeed the industry developed an
infrastructure to move them (internet). BUT, they still
live in the old days, where one of the biggest problems is
actually moving WORKERS around. Just take a look at Silicon
Valley, where the housing vacancy rate hovers around 2%,
cost of housing is astronomical, and the typical commute is
more than an hour each way.

The time for that to change is upon us. More and more
people will begin to do what I have done, although perhaps
less drastically (they may stay in their country of birth).
This will bring a levelling of costs, probably raising them
in places like West Virginia, and lowering them in places
like California. It will also bring a levelling of salary,
probably lowering salary for everybody. Such is life.

So there's the offer, in case you're interested. Good luck
with the book, even if it will spawn more competition!

cud
Chris Despopoulos
Celestino Junquera, 17-1-A
33201 Gijón, España