RE: What does a Buisness Analyst do?

Subject: RE: What does a Buisness Analyst do?
From: "Kathi Jan Knill" <Kathi -dot- Knill -at- template -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>, "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:51:03 -0500

>> Tony Markatos asked:
>> What does a Business Analyst (BA) REALLY do?

It seems that the people who answered your post went off on a tangent
about the DD. So, if I may, here is what I have seen BAs do.

After reviewing the work that the client does, the BA determines how
the product/software is best used for this client. This may or may not
include
formal requirements analysis docs, specs, etc. Obviously, we all know from
experience that those projects that start off using the doc tools (specs,
dd,
func reqs, etc.) run more smoothly than those that are done haphazardly.

Depending on the company, a BA may also write proposals, rfps, etc.
I don't know of a formal job description that you would find in every
BA job ad. But I am sure that you can determine from ads some of the
things a BA would be expected to do. Another option would be to
contact the HR dept. at a company that you are considering and ask
them what the job entails specifically.

Hope this helps.
Kathi Jan Knill
Sr. Technical Writer
Level 8 Systems
Kathi -dot- Knill -at- Template -dot- com
"Lead your life so you wouldn't be ashamed
to sell the family parrot to the town gossip."