Data Flow Diagrams

Subject: Data Flow Diagrams
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: winday -at- home -dot- com, tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 11:03:49 PST

Tony Markatos said

I have been in software for almost fifteenth years and have never seen anyone - including individuals with a BA title - create a data flow diagram (the most common formal functional model/specification tool). [Myself excluded] So I am mystified as to what BA's do.

Win Day responded:

I sure hope you're kidding about not seeing any data flow diagrams!

In all my years as an engineer and then a technical writer, I can't
remember ever NOT creating flow diagrams of the processes I was working on.

Tony Markatos responds:

Well, one of two things has happened:

1.) I have always worked for very poor-quality companies - there are many software organizations that repeatedly successfully utilize Structured Systems Analysis Techniques. And, moreover, all DP professionals that I personally know have only worked for very poor-quality companies.

(If the above is true, what makes it so remarkable, is that somehow I succeeded in finding such companies and individuals - and none of the other type! - regardless of where I lived - east coast, west coast, mid-west - or what size company that I worked for - large, medium, small.)

2.) You are utilizing the term Data Flow Diagram very loosely. Things that kind of look like DFD's are common. I see such all the time.

(Note: rigorous adherence to a DFD methodology is VERY important in terms of the utility of the output.)

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)