RE: online documentation for web application

Subject: RE: online documentation for web application
From: John Garison <jgarison -at- ide -dot- com>
To: "'Kaya Balke'" <kaya -at- hungryminds-inc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:27:04 -0500

I have done the "roll your own" approach using an HTML editor and I have
used HATs to produce HTML-based (NOT Html Help) online doc for web
applications.

I go with the tool approach now, and I use ForeFront's InterHelp format to
do it. My writers can use the familiar HAT interface, as well as create
popups and secondary windows. And it automatically creates the
expand/collapse tree view TOC, a full-text searchable index, and all the
other modern conveniences without any extra effort. I also find this to be
more easily maintained than hand-made help.

I find its output works well in both IE and Netscape (as long as you don't
use ANY file names with spaces in them!).

Just my 2¢ worth,

John Garison
Documentation Manager
Integrated Development Enterprise, Inc.