RE: Word TOC question

Subject: RE: Word TOC question
From: "John Locke" <john -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "'Elisabeth Zakes'" <ezakes -at- PlanView -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 13:19:15 -0800

I don't know how to set an option to prevent hyperlinked TOCs, but I have
found a way to work around it...

Use the following procedure after creating the TOC:
1. Select the entire TOC.
2. Right-click on the TOC and then click Toggle Field Codes.
3. Delete the "\H" switch from the field codes. This is the switch that
tells Word to generate the hyperlinks. For example, one of my documents has
a TOC field code that reads {TOC \O "1-4" \H \Z}. Change it to {TOC \O "1-4"
\Z}.
4. Right-click the TOC field code and then click Update Field.
5. Click Update Entire Table, and then click OK.

The TOC will no longer have hyperlinked headings.

Hope that helps!

--John Locke
http://www.freelock.com

Elisabeth Zakes wrote:

Does anyone have a clue on how to make the Table of Contents in Word 2K
non-hyperlinked? I don't mind the page numbers being so (as it was in Word
97), but to have the titles, too, is quite inconvenient.