RE: British English technical variations

Subject: RE: British English technical variations
From: "Geoff Lane" <geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 11:27:55 -0000

John Nesbit asks about British and American terminology:

> First, what differences exist between a British
> keyboard and a standard American one, if any? For
> example, is there a £ sign instead of $ sign?
On the British QWERTY keyboard, the pound sign (£) is [Shift+3], I
understand that this gives a hash (#) on US keyboards. The hash placement on
UK keyboards is not completely standard. However, it is usually near the
[Return] key. The double quotation mark (") is [Shift+2], swapping position
with the '@' key of US keyboards.

> Second, when consumers use Microsoft products, do they
> buy versions ?translated? into British English: does
> the Program Manager in Windows 3.1 become Programme
> Manager for British consumers?
When referring to a computer application, 'program' is spelled "program".
When referring to a list or series of events, it is spelled "programme".
AFAIK, Microsoft never translate from American to English. However, they do
provide localized proofing tools.

> Third, in ?Express setup automatically chooses the
> applications and utilities that will?? does the word
> ?utilities? in context seem clear enough, or does
> ?utilities? need clarification or translation for a
> British reading audience?
This is perfectly clear to me and (AFAIK) "utilities" is acceptable on both
sides of the pond.


Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK
geoff -at- gjctech -dot- co -dot- uk

Previous by Author: RE: character string order
Next by Author: RE: Need CGI& database: Hooks from Microsoft IIS/FrontPage/Access?
Previous by Thread: Re: British English technical variations
Next by Thread: RE: British English technical variations

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads

Sponsored Ads