Disabling Print

Subject: Disabling Print
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:56:22 -0500

Does anyone know if it is possible to disable Print
from a web browser for a given document?

We create print documents, then 'webify' them
for our intranet. Apparently people are printing
them from their web browser, instead of requesting
a hard-copy from the Documentation Department.

We don't want them to print the web document:
(a) I'm told that for ISO9000, we need to track
who gets what document. The Documentation Dept
does that, but not if someone prints from the intranet.

(b) The web versions are designed for online
viewing & usually don't print well. Some don't
print at all via Netscape--which is how we found
out people are trying to print from the browser.

Every web document contains at the top the
statement "For a printed copy, ask the Documentation
Department for document number xxxxx".
(We even have an online Print Request form! Plus,
we're a small company: walking to the Doc Dept takes
about 20 seconds from anywhere!)

Not that I'm a control freak or anything, but ....
*IS* there anyway to prevent people from printing
a web page?

I have this dream, which is probably impossible:
When user clicks Print, a message window
pops up: "You cannot print this document from
your web browser. Would you like to request a printed
copy of this document?" And if user clicks Yes, the
online print request form pops up, already filled out
with the document number. All they have to do is
click Send. Nice dream, huh? But all I really want
to do right now is disable the Print button! Any
ideas?

Thanks in advance
Jessica

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.