Re: "pre-installation"?

Subject: Re: "pre-installation"?
From: "Kate O'Neill" <kate -at- kathleen -dot- net>
To: Benzi Schreiber <benzi -at- tradeum -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:10:24 -0800

Benzi Schreiber explained:
> The Installation Guide has 2 sections:
>
> * The first deals with everything that has to be done before installing our
> actual application (operating system, databases, environment, etc.).
> * The second explains how to install the app.
>
> What should the first section be called? Someone here suggested
> "Pre-installation Configuration".
> Anyone have a better idea?

Don't know about how much "better" my idea is, but if
you're not averse to using the second person, you could
use "Before You Install [the Product]."

The users at my last company preferred that phrasing to
"Pre-Installation" because it was more clear to them.

Hope this helps,

- Kate O'Neill
making a pre-coffee posting (or is that "before coffee"?)