Re: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word

Subject: Re: The Old Argument: FrameMaker vs. MS Word
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 17:38:09 -0500

Tony Rocco wrote

> Does any tech writer in his or her right mind prefer MS Word to
> FrameMaker???

Absolutely.

Word is a fine word processing tool. It is limited publishing tool.

Frame is a powerful, if wonky, desktop publishing tool. It is a terrible
word processor.

I am a writer. I process words. I prefer Word.

If you are still stuck in DTP land then you are probably stuck in Frame
land, but let it be said load and clear:

Technical writing is about writing. Technical writers should not be asked to
do DTP. It is a waste of their time and their talent. Technical writers
forced to do DTP spend more than half their time on layout and production
tasks. These tasks should be performed by people with the proper aptitudes
and skills. Writers should spend their time on research and writing.