Research Request

Subject: Research Request
From: Michael Gos <mgos -at- lee -dot- edu>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2000 12:25:06 -0600

I am researching a particular kind of on-the-job culture clash in technical
writers, that is, the juxtaposition of the disciplines of English and Science
(or math, or engineering). I am interested in hearing from anyone who
experiences job dissonance because of this apparent clash.

Often viewed as incompatible, English and Science come together in a unique
way in the career of tech writer. While there has been much work about the
difficult relationships between writers and SMEs, there is less known about
internal conflicts.

I know this is a vague definition of what I'm looking for, but since this
is passive descriptive research, an early phase of variable identification,
I really don't know what I'll find. Essentially, if this idea of a clash,
dissonance or incompatibility feels right, and it seems to be about the
Englsih/Science juxtaposition, I'd like to hear from you.

Dr. Michael W. Gos
Department of English and Communications
Lee College
Baytown, Texas 77522
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my dog thinks I am."