RE: Single source PDF

Subject: RE: Single source PDF
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:56:19 -0500

Zounds! Sounds like magic! :-) or at least a dream come true...

Which software?
Why not Word -- doesn't Word 2000 use XML as its underlying code?
How much programming experience is needed for this "technological
chicanery"? especially the automatic part !

I've kept an eye on XML for a while, but I'd gotten the impression
it's more intended to facilitate business-to-business communication
& e-commerce. Maybe because the bias of most web magazines
(print & web) are towards business not documentation.

Do you have any suggestions for resources for learning to use XML
for technical documentation?

thanks
Jessica
Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.

-----From: Tim Altom
>You can now, using appropriate creation software (not Word, for heaven's
sake!) create your documents and output them as XML.

<snip>

>All of this technological chicanery, once set into place, gives you the
ability to create the doc, export as XML, then let the machinery take over
and automatically split the document into two, one bound for print, the
other for online. It can also automatically render the document as PDF, post
it to the web or intranet, send a PostScript file to a printer, and produce
HTML if desired. You can even create help files automatically, in WinHelp,
JavaHelp, or HTML Help. It takes setup, but it works. And it's all done
single source, so changes can be made to a single document, rather than to
three or four.