Is Anyone Using XML for single sourcing help and docs?

Subject: Is Anyone Using XML for single sourcing help and docs?
From: Ginger Moskowitz <ginger -at- aatech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2000 15:16:32 -0500

Can someone walk me through their process of creating help files and manuals
(single source) using Interleaf or another XML authoring program?

I have looked up XML info on the web and found it complicated and technical;
I don't want to read lengthy comparisons of Html, sgml, and xml; I just want
to know what tools are out there to do the job, how it's done, and whether
it's feasible to consider this a single source option either now or in the
future.

My company produces Winhelp files and ships the manuals as zipped Word
documents. Usually people don't print these Word docs (they're too big) but
they are distributed in the training classes that most users attend. If we
could keep this format (winhelp, maybe html help in the future, and some
kind of printable manual) is XML worth the trouble?