Why TW Projects Fail. Was Pizza Process.

Subject: Why TW Projects Fail. Was Pizza Process.
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 07:51:30 PST

Tony Markatos said:

Now, I ask you: Think of documentation projects that really did not turn-out too well. Next, ask yourself, what were the major culprits. Were they a lack of writing, editing, or grammar skills? Lack of knowledge of the latest DTP technology?

Or was it that:

1.) No (or little) effective end-user task analysis was performed.
2.) Estimating was either done poorly or not at all. This includes firm due date projects.
3.) While the grammar was good, there was no standard use of terminology: one chapter called something an apple, another called it a banana, another an orange.
4.) No flow-charts were created to plan the organization of the documentation. I'm sorry folks, software systems, especially larger ones,are notoriously non-linear - task lists just don't do the job!

From what I have been exposed to, and other TWs that I know personally, it has always been the latter category.

Andrew Plato responds:

I can't say I have seen all the possible failure points for tech writing projects, but if Tony gets to guess about what causes tech pubs failure then so do I...

Tony Markatos responds:

I'm not guessing. The problems were VERY evident - and known by all involved.

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)