RE: Interviewing writers

Subject: RE: Interviewing writers
From: Kimberly <JKWilson -at- concentric -dot- net>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:00:19 -0500

At 09:45 AM 1/26/00 -0800, you wrote:
>You might also consider two very simple tests:
>
>1. Present this test: "Tell me how to do something. I don't care what it is,
>as long as you know how to do it and I don't." See how well the interviewee
>can explain something that they're familiar and comfortable with.
>
>2. Pick a simple task, like using Explorer to copy files from one location
>to another, and have them write the instructions. (Assure them that you
>won't "grade it" in front of them.)

For number 2, I suggest explaining how to use an ATM.

>Between these two tests, you should find out whether the candidate can play
>nicely with other people and whether he/she has the basic ability to
>"explain things to others."

OTOH, I don't think very highly of being "tested" in an interview. A test
and an interview are two different things, IMO, and while I might agree to
a writing test, I wouldn't expect an interview to be the place for it
(unless I was informed ahead of time) or for the test to BE the interview.

Kimberly in Atlanta