How difficult is it to install Windows 98?

Subject: How difficult is it to install Windows 98?
From: "Carnall, Jane" <Jane -dot- Carnall -at- compaq -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 15:04:34 -0000

Offlist answers, please!

My laptop computer was stolen two or three weeks ago. The toerags who took
it missed my software CDs, which included the CD for Windows 98. I can buy a
replacement more cheaply (the difference is 70 ukp) if I buy it without
Windows and install Windows 98 from the CD.

The last time I installed an operating system it was O/S2, from 3.5" floppy
disks, in 1990. I have dismal memories of that occasion - not least that as
I remember, O/S2 occupied a lot of floppies! I have installed other Windows
software from CDs and floppies over the past ten years, but never Windows
itself.

I don't want to mess up my new laptop for the sake of saving 70 quid.
Conversely, if installing Windows 98 is simple enough, I don't want to spend
70 quid if I don't have to - particularly as the whole thing is already
costing me nearly 700ukp to replace. (My insurance didn't cover the theft.)

Has anyone installed Windows 98 and can tell me how foolproof (or how
tricky!) it is to install?

Thanks,

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Compaq, UK
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone.