RE: Employment Resources

Subject: RE: Employment Resources
From: "Robert E. Garland" <robert -at- jtan -dot- com>
To: Techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 100 19:53:13 -0500 (EST)

Tony Rocca wrote:

> > No offense to those who might have responded my job post, but the resumes
> > I received
> > left much to be desired. Is this typical for those of you in a position to
> > hire tech writers?
> >
> Speaking from my own experience I would have to say that sometimes that's
> true, Tony. When I've been looking at a general submission of resumes for a
> position, maybe one in six or so (purely subjective estimate) is really
> targeted at the job advertised. I've talked with managers hiring in several
> different areas of several companies and divisions, and I hear from them
> basically the same thing. People are going to submit inappropriate resumes,
> or be totally unqualified for the job they submit a resume for. It's just
> the way some people are, I guess. I don't know how far they get with that
> approach, but I never keep a resume if I'm not going to talk to someone.

One of the reasons that people may submit "inappropriate" resumes is
because many, if not most, of the online listings ask for the
impossible. So, folks feel that the situation is "nothing ventured,
nothing gained".

In a related matter, I had a discussion just yesterday about the
impossible qualificaions issue. The other party to this discussion
related a story about a former employer that was hiring for position X.

The HR department advertised the minimum acceptable requirements, and
six people were interviewed. The person with the BEST set of
capabilities was hired.
Two of the people not hired were from protected minority groups. They
sued for discrimination. Even though only one position was open, each
received an award from the court.

After that, the company made it a point to advertise requirements far
beyond what was actually desired for the position, so that when someone
is not hired, the company can claim that the person did not meet the
requirements of the job, and be in a better position to defend a lawsuit.

Perhaps those agencies recruiting online are using this tactic. It
does, however, discourage some excellent candidates from applying.

Then there is the company advertising for 5 years experience with a
programming language that is 1 year in existence. That company isn't
protecting much. That company is just looking stupid.

--
Robert Garland Amateur Radio Station NX3S
Hilltown Township Bucks County Grid FN20ii