RE: Training docs vs. user documentation?

Subject: RE: Training docs vs. user documentation?
From: "Locke, David" <dlocke -at- bindview -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:35:04 -0600

Mr Smith said:
> How do writers typically differentiate training
> documentation from user documentation?

Training manuals are scenarios where user manuals are use cases. Training
manuals may also be more conceptual. And, in the worst case, they are
exactly the same in terms of text or treatment.

Training manuals typically measure their results against some performance
goals defined during instructional design. Some of these measure my look at
student performance, but other measures need to look class performance or
the performance of the instruction. Assumptions particularly in the
definition of the learner/reader need to be tested.

David W. Locke