Re[2]: Forced to read the manual/re: FrameMaker

Subject: Re[2]: Forced to read the manual/re: FrameMaker
From: Harry Hager <hhager -at- dttus -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com, KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
Date: 28 Jan 2000 15:06:16 -0600

K,

Please allow me one correction to your reply.

The "jackels" trying to bust up Microsoft are not the "American
legislators," instead it's the Clinton administration Justice
Department that has taken them to court. And, if I'm not mistaken, it
has proposed to the judge hearing the case that Microsoft be split
into at least three companies.

Although there are Americam legislators and lobbyists that agree with
the Justice Department.

Jim Hager

Subject: RE: Forced to read the manual/re: FrameMaker
Author: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com at Internet-USA
Date: 1/28/00 1:51 PM

Win Day replied to somebody:

[snip]
> >releases to fix
> >bugs. If this is indeed the case, I think we're pretty much
> stuck with the
> >current
> >FrameMaker doc set as it exists now. :-(
> >
> ></delurk>
> >

> One more reason to stick with Word <grin>.
>
> You might not like it, but you know it'll always be there!

Don't get your hopes up.

If Microsoft:

a) wakes up (and there are signs already) and embraces
the "net-ization" of everything, they'll likely follow
the path that SUN envisions for StarOffice and other
"formerly-desktop" applications,

and/or

b) gets busted up by jackals (er, I mean by American legislators
and their trough-sucking bottom-feeders ... er, lobbyists)

then there's every chance that Word *would* go away. If
history is an indicator, MS would drop existing Word into
a black hole in order to force acceptance of the net-ized
version.

Nothing is forever.

Besides, if Adobe is going to the effort of porting FM to
Linux, they must see SOME sort of market and future for
the product, even if it's only to hold our interest and
loyalty until the still-under-heavy-wraps, dazzling
replacement comes along (a-la InDesign).

/k

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Register now for a Professional Technical Writing Certificate at
www.online-learning.com/index1.html. An ideal professional development
opportunity, PTW begins February 15, 2000 and lasts 4 months.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: hhager -at- dttus -dot- com