RE: Team Player Definition

Subject: RE: Team Player Definition
From: Lane Pasut <Larissa -dot- Pasut -at- OmegaResearch -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 14:37:03 -0500

Something I haven't heard mentioned when discussing team players is taking
ownership of projects.

In our department, sometimes we have to take on someone else's project
because that person's other projects just got bigger (or whatever). Or, we
have to help someone with their project because they need help finishing it
on time and it is a high priority (e.g., we have to write a section, edit,
etc.). And maybe you don't want to do this, or maybe the project isn't very
interesting, so it's hard to be motivated. Being a team player means doing
it, and putting forth the same energy/detail/quality that you would on your
own project. Finding ways to help the department meet its goals, not
constantly fulfilling your own agenda at the expense of the others in the
department. To me, this is being a team player.

Couldn't help putting in my 2 cents, we've had experience with this
recently, so I've been following this thread.

Lane