Version management in Unix environment (with FrameMaker)

Subject: Version management in Unix environment (with FrameMaker)
From: reni -at- intellitel -dot- com
To: techwr-l
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 1:16:13

I tried to search the techwriter list archives, but couldn't find an answer
to my question.

We are now evaluating FrameMaker for Unix (with HP and Sun). We have also
installed the FrameMaker for Linux beta version (at it seems to be really
good. Does anyone know when the final version will be ready?). It seems
that FrameMaker is the program we need for our purposes (we still continue
using Word, Wp or some other word processor). The biggest question now is:

Is there any good version management software for maanging different
versions of FrameMaker documents or other documents in Unix platform? Is it
possible to use the same software which is used to control code version
management? What different software is out there to control documents.

Software should have basic features like storing different
versions/revisions, noting the owner of the document when it is changed,
etc...

FrameMaker itself has the way to see the difference between different
documents, but that's not the answer for us.

--
Reni Waegelein
[we:gelain]