RE: Document Management Tools/Strategies

Subject: RE: Document Management Tools/Strategies
From: Metzger Karen <Metzger_Karen -at- prc -dot- com>
To: "'Emily Cotlier'" <Emily_Cotlier -at- cardlink -dot- co -dot- nz>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2000 19:28:50 -0500

Remember the KISS principle!

On my last project I was the web administrator where I managed a web-based
application called Livelink from OpenText. We used it for our document
management, to handle version control, because we were all operating on
different platforms, and needed something to solve that problem. It worked
for us, but--and this is inevitable in your organization, too--people didn't
like having to do something new. So not everyone used it. Lots of folks just
stuck with what they knew--in our case, e-mailing documents back and forth
and dealing with the occasional version control mishap. I speshly wouldn't
recommend this product to you until they sell it without all the bells and
whistles. Last time I checked it came bundled with a workflow and task
tracking mechanism, but that's more than some people need.

Try as I might, I couldn't find any flaws in your solution, and wonder why
you are still seeking another? My advice, having used another good solution,
but dealt with people--who seem to hate change no matter where you go--is go
with what you got! It's cheap, it's simple, it works, no other solution will
give you that.

Best of luck!
kcm