Re: Kovitz vs Traditional

Subject: Re: Kovitz vs Traditional
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Charter -dot- Tara -at- mayo -dot- edu, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:27:33 PST

Tony Markatos responds (to below question):

How can you know HOW you are going to do something until you know WHAT it is that you are going to do? The functional spec states the WHAT, the design spec states the HOW.

Tara Charter asked:

Kovitz (in Practical Software Requirements) states that the functional
specification is the 'what' and the design specification is the 'how'. I believe that, traditionally, with step-by-step development, the design spec was the 'what' and the functional spec was the 'how'.

Although I'm inclined to go Kovitz' way, I'm wondering how you have declared the 'what' and the 'how' in your endeavors to provide useful documentation.