TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
I am a third year Communication Authoring and Design student at Coventry
University and am currently carrying out my dissertation, on the subject of
professional register and recruitment:
'Prior knowledge of a professional register is necessary in the employment
of a Technical Author. A discussion'
In order to do this I will be carrying out some primary research, in the
form of a questionnaire. My target audience is practicing technical authors,
I would be very grateful if you could help me by answering the questions in
the spaces provided, then simply return the message to my private address.
This will assure that all answers will remain confidential.
QUESTIONNAIRE - Practising Technical Authors
1) How long have you been a Technical Author?
2) Were you a qualified Technical Author when you began in the writing
3) Did you originally come from a background other than technical authoring,
i.e. engineering (please state) and do you feel that the difference in
background has affected your approach to writing?
4) Do you feel that you were sufficiently prepared for the authoring job?
5) If not, what problems did you encounter?
6) Initially, did you find it difficult working with the different technical
styles presented to you?
7) How long did it take before you felt confident in the interpretation of
the information you were presenting?
8) Do you feel that there have been any changes in the Technical Writing
profession, since you began?
9) Do you feel that you learn something new everyday, due to the constant
influx of new technology?
10) Are the skills/requirements for new Technical Authors becoming more