RE: advice needed-technical editing

Subject: RE: advice needed-technical editing
From: jsmith -at- informatica -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 10:34:57 -0800

I don't really know about the different in salaries between a technical
editor and a technical writer, but I do know that there can be a big
difference in salaries just within tech writing positions. Some companies
realize what the job market is like and pay well, and other companies don't
really realize what it takes to attract a decent writer.

I would check out http://jobsmart.org/ for their salary information. It was
the best one I've found so far and that's pretty much what I've been using.
Also, the salary info is free, unlike many other sites I found.

If you're looking for your first technical writing job and finding one gets
difficult, you might want to consider taking a slightly lower paying one
just to get your foot in the door. Then from there, you can move on.

There are a lot of jobs here, so be patient, persistent, and professional!

Jennie Smith
(Palo Alto, CA)