SUMMARY - Screen Capture Software

Subject: SUMMARY - Screen Capture Software
From: "Christopher" <addforlist -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 18:01:05 +0100

Thanks to all of you who responded, and sorry for taking so long to post a
summary...

Three packages were mentioned the most:

1) Snagit (8 votes) - http://www.techsmith.com/
2) Paint Shop Pro (7 votes) http://www.jasc.com/
3) Fullshot (6 votes) - http://www.inbit.com/

Several of you expressed the opinion that if I was already using PSP then
there was no real reason to change.

Other packages mentioned included

* Hypersnap-Dx (2 votes only, but a previous techwirler favourite going on
archives a couple of years back)
* Hijaak Pro
* Capture Pro
* Lview
* PhotoImpact
* 20/20 (www.hotfreeware.com - this one seems to be free!)
* Visual Capture

A couple of people were quite happy enough with Print Screen feature of
Windows.

All of this is in fact confirmed by Peter Ring's "Current trends in
technical communication", which you can view on his website
http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/ufm/tip-0001.htm

In addition to that article, I can heartily recommend, for newbies like
myself or for those a bit unsure about graphics formats (vector and bitmap),
reading "Graphical formats survey",
http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/ufm/tip-9807.htm

and also http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/ufm/tip-9806.htm "Resizing
of bitmaps", which includes the background info + the (partial) solutions --
partial because resizing of bitmaps will always result in a decreased image
quality. <this last sentence was lifted completely form Peter's e-mail>.

As for the file format to use for our documentation (my third question), I'm
really not sure as I'd like to be able to take one screenshot and use it
multiple times (FrameMaker, output to printer via pdf and output to pdf for
the product cd (colour for the cd obviously, but colour or b/w for printed?)
and HTML/CHM). Watch out for more questions on this (once I've tried the
archives of course)...

Chris