Re: Getting out of a bad situation

Subject: Re: Getting out of a bad situation
From: "Sonya Hoffmann" <sonyahof -at- flash -dot- net>
To: <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2000 13:28:14 -0800

<Anonymous writes...>

Subject: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation

I want to know, when I'm asked why I left my previous job and why I have
> no references from my previous place of employment, how should I respond?
> I can get glowing letters of recommendation from my part time jobs during
> college, but my supervisor at my last job is deceased and no one else
> there can speak English either. How do I wash my hands of this place and
this job? How important are previous references in getting Tech
Writing/Editing jobs?

Dear Anonymous,

In your position, I would choose not to be a victim - at least in the
long-term. When you can, assess/sharpen/augment your skills, gather samples
of your work, and appreciate your allies (you'd be surprised who's "in your
corner" sometimes; I often am). Positive comments are viable in ANY
language.

It sounds as if you have simply outgrown your position/company. There's
nothing wrong with that, really. Everyone changes - you obviously have and
so has everyone else. A little distance from this situation will probably
bring this to light.

I am bilingual (Spanish - but haven't really been active in 10 months or
so - it's like riding a bike...), so I know the value of a second,
well-spoken language in our global economy. You should have no trouble
finding bilingual positions, if that is what you are wanting.

And a definite up-side of your situation: You have the opportunity to DO
WHATEVER YOU WANT. Pretty cool, huh?

And most of all, I wish you peace.
-Sonya

> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
> original poster to see your response, you must reply
> to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
> message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
> ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.

> Sponsored by Weisner Associates Inc., Online Information Services
> Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based
Help.
> More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
>
> Your web site in 32 languages? Maybe not now, but sooner than you think.
> Contact ForeignExchange for the FREE paper, "3 steps to successful
> translation management" (http://www.fxtrans.com/3steps.html?tw).
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: sonyahof -at- flash -dot- net
leave-techwr-l-19547F -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com