Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation

Subject: Re: FWD: Getting out of a bad situation
From: Kathryn Hedges <khedges -at- asymtek -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 08:39:45 -0800

From: "Jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 13:09:42 -0000

Jane said:

<snip>

>I have a question. In the instance that someone is fired from a situation
like Anonymous described, or any firing, for that matter, are people going
to back away from providing a reference? If so, why, if they had nothing to
do with the firing and had no issues of their own with the employee?<

<snip>

Because even in a situation where the employee's contract ended in good
standing, other employees who provide references more informative than
dates-of-service verification are exposing the company to liability.
Or at least if the HR department is under that impression, HR may very
well discipline anyone caught writing recommendations or references
(or even just responding to phone calls).

This whole litigious atmosphere makes it difficult at times to conduct
business rationally and professionally.

Kathryn

Disclaimer: I'm only speaking for myself, not my employer.