RE: Generally, what do you think of generally?

Subject: RE: Generally, what do you think of generally?
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: "'Ackerson, Allan'" <aackerson -at- logicon -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:43:31 -0800

<<Kinda sorta, Janet. If you rewrite your examples to eliminate the
> qualifiers, I think you get the same message. Just my opinion, but that's
> what this whole thread has been about.>>

Sorry, I think your re-writes lose information that is useful for
the user.

<<Example 1) Use "straight through" or "crossover" RJ-45 to DB-25 or
DB-9
> adapters with RJ-45 cables to
> create the cable configurations shown in Figures 3-3 through 3-6. If you
> use "crossover" RJ-45
> cables, the RJ-45 pins will be reversed. Figures 3-8 and 3-9 illustrate
> the
> difference between the two types when constructed with flat 8-conductor
> wire.>>

This no longer tells the user that the "straight through" cable is
the one that is used most often. It now sounds as if they are equally used,
which is not the case. Novice users would be happy to know which cable to
try.

<<Example 2) The port server supports up to 30 PVC's. The DLCI
number for
> your first PVC will be 16. If not, then...>>

This does not say what I said. your ... could only be replaced by,
"it's okay too" or something. Awkward and illogical, just to avoid saying
"in most cases". Also, you removed the information that gives them a clue
why the number is likely to be 16. They no longer know that they will be
assigned the first available DLCI number, which is usually 16. They may not
always need to know that, but some time when things don't work right, they
might need to know that.

<<Example 3) XYZ software configures the port server automatically.
You do
> not need to set any parameters manually. Exceptions are: 1) setting the
> electrical interface (RS232, RS422, RS485), or 2) configuring a port that
> is
> not under XYZ control.>>

This also does not say the same thing that I said. This sounds as if
the only way to configure the port server is using the XYZ software. This is
not true. There are other ways. The second sentence is only true if you are
using XYZ. Also, stated your way, it sounds as if the two exceptions listed
are the only two possible exceptions. This is not the case. There are other
exceptions as well. These were just two examples of exceptions.

It is interesting to see how differently writing can be interpreted.
However, since we have both expressed our opinion, I'm ready to take any
further discussion of these examples off-line.

Janet