RE: multiple TWs for a project

Subject: RE: multiple TWs for a project
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'gyaker -at- csc -dot- com'" <gyaker -at- csc -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 17:19:01 -0500

Gil:

Here are my thoughts:

1) Best Tech Writing Practices or Best Tech Comm Practices?
I do lots of writing. I do lots of design. I do lots of teaching. I compile
lots of HTML help. I do lots of meetings with development and QA teams.
It's all Technical Communications and it's best practices insofar as my
experience allows. But it's not all writing. So in my world, your
"hard-headedness" on sentence structure could be a detriment if it's your
only focus. On the other hand, I might just choose to fight a different
battle, rather than fighting you on something you are so passionate about.
I see hard-headedness as a different quality from ego mania.

2) Your perception of "incompetence" on the part of a team member could, in
fact, be lack of experience, global rather than logical thinking patterns,
and a host of other things. If you have the patience to determine the
nature of a team problem and the willingness to help resolve it, you'd be
OK. If you automatically assume incompetence and refuse to work out a
solution, you'd be a detriment. I'm a global thinker and a multi-tasker. I
adore working with people who are logical and procedural and single-tasking
because they bring a different perspective to the table. The primary
problem I've faced is that logical single-taskers tend to be intolerant of
global multi-taskers. I've learned ways to build teams and work with such
folks more effectively, which IMHO, are part of best practices.

Rigidity is a matter of degree, and extremely rigid people rarely work well
in a team environment.

FWIW

Connie Giordano