diagram callouts

Subject: diagram callouts
From: Christi <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:13:21 -0800

Hi,

I've got an issue, and I'm just not sure of the best way to resolve it. My
original hunch is contrary to one our tech support persons, so I come to you
to get your opinion.
I have a diagram that shows how to connect our instrument to a panel at
the customer's site. There are six connections in various places; they
happen to fall in two columns of three connections. I'm trying to determine
the best way to order the reference letters. I'll try to show you visually
with text.

Example 1 - ordering the reference letters in alphabetical format.

o A o D

o B o E

o C o F

Pro-easy for the user to see a pattern in the lettering
Con-the user would connect A, then D, then F, then B, then E, then C (out of
alphabetical order).

Example 2 - ordering the reference letters in order that the user will have
to make the connections.

o A o B

o D o F

o E o C

Pro-the user would connect in alphabetical order (A, then B, then C...)
Con-the user might have to 'hunt' in the diagram to find where the correct
letter is.

Does this query make sense? I hope I explained it ok. Anyway... does any
have a thought as to which Example would be easier for a user to follow?

Thanks!

Christi Carew

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA, USA