RE: OT: How would you pronounce this word...? (no, it's not in a dictionary)

Subject: RE: OT: How would you pronounce this word...? (no, it's not in a dictionary)
From: Chuck Martin <CMartin -at- serena -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:44:31 -0800

After seeing this reply, I had to chime in. But before I offer my opinion,
I'd go back to this: if this new company created this new word for a name,
how to *they* want it pronounced?

Not to counter what this respondent said, but isn't this the most important
issue, rules or not?

As for me, if I saw this name and had no clue to its context or
pronunciation, I'd say PAY-see-awn, at least if it were shown just initial
capped. If either the "o" or the "on" were capped, I'd be inclined to say
PAYSE-awn, sort of like faceoff (FAYSE-off).

--
Chuck Martin
Sr. Technical Writer, SERENA Software

"People who use business software might despise it, but they are getting
paid to tolerate it....Most people who are paid to use a tool feel
constrained not to complain about that tool, but it doesn't stop them from
feeling frustrated and unhappy about it."
- "The Inmates are Running the Asylum"
Alan Cooper

are addressed. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution
is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact
the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original
message.