Word-to-PostScript-to-PDF batch processing

Subject: Word-to-PostScript-to-PDF batch processing
From: "EXT-Hornoi-Centerwall, Theodore" <Theodore -dot- Hornoi-Centerwall -at- PSS -dot- Boeing -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 11:26:16 -0800

Tech Writing Colleagues,

After search the archives and talking to a few of you
off-list, I am asking for someone who has experience
doing the task I am attempting to perform.

That task is to run a batch process that creates PDF
format files from Word docs, with PostScript as the
intermediate step. I specify PostScript because it
appears that is the way to do it, if it is done at all.
That doesn't preclude the possibility that it could
be done in another manner entirely, using some other
format.

I have been advised that in fact PostScript varies in
quality, since the "true" (my word) PostScript is proprietary
to Adobe and so other PostScript types are more or less
standard. (Sorry to be vague, but I don't understand this.)

In fact, there is a program called TIFF2PDF by
FastIO.com that claims to be capable of producing
large numbers of PDF files from .TIF documents.

So ... if any of you have successfully run a batch background
processing program that allows the kind of conversion,
and would like to share the macro or tell me where to find it,
I would be most interested.

Thanks!

Ted Hornoi-Centerwall
Technical Writer
CAS-CADE and CATIA Small Apps (6-6C11)
425-477-4421 7-311.1 1C13-1.2 MS 6F-06
http://www-ads.ca.boeing.com/w&e/index.html

Asking questions about your OWN work, then providing good,
solid answers for those questions is a powerful technique
for not only refining a design, but for learning a lot about
yourself and your insights as a visual communicator.
-- "Fred", DTGNews -at- aol -dot- com