Tracking time?

Subject: Tracking time?
From: Geoff Hart <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "Techwr-L (E-mail)" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:26:11 -0500

Bob Morrisette reports <<...the writers in my group are required to fill out
a web-based form showing how much time they spend on each document during
the day. The form lists all documents assigned to you and time for meetings,
reading, etc. They don't list time in the bathroom.>>

We do that informally here; the data hasn't yet been used for anything
really meaningful, but there's the prospect that some day it may actually be
used to plan and budget. That's the theory, leastwise. It's annoying, but
tolerable.

<<This is not a Sun thing but a requirement of our director, an acknowledged
"metrics queen.">>

Hmmm... let's hope she (he?) isn't a member of this list, or has a good
sense of humor about such epithets. But let's be optimistic: by tracking how
long it takes to do things, she can budget time and other resources more
appropriately in the future. With luck, this can help her ensure that you're
given reasonable deadlines or extra hands for future projects, and that may
make your life easier. (Of course, the time breakdown may also lead them to
put timers in the bathrooms, but let's be optimistic, huh? <g>)

--Geoff Hart, Pointe-Claire, Quebec
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"The paperless office will arrive when the paperless toilet
arrives."--Matthew Stevens