RE: Follow order of widget on screen, or logical order for procedures?

Subject: RE: Follow order of widget on screen, or logical order for procedures?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>
To: "'David Castro'" <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 14:42:14 -0500

I would put the procedures in order based on how the user will need them. It
will not correspond to the order they see on the screen, but will make more
sense to them - especially if there are dependencies - i.e. before they can do
one task, another task must have been completed.

I occasionally run into this situation (actually, on the system I am currently
documenting) and I always opt for documenting tasks based on the user. If you
just document the tasks based on the order presented on the screen, you really
are just documenting the system, and not the user tasks, which to me comes
close to being a reference type document as opposed to a user guide.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree