Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience

Subject: Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience
From: "Richard" <thepoet -at- thepoet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:26:09 -0700

Allow me to add my perspective on pay rates from the Denver metro area.
Inexperienced writers start out here at $10 per hour. Exp. writers earn
anywhere from $20-45 per hour depending upon:
1) The company they work for and how desperate they are.
2) Interviewing skills and how a TW sells him/herself to the employer.
3) Luck of the draw or perisitnce to run the gauntlet of resumes.

The problem in the Denver Metro area is that companies collect resumes when
they do not need TWs then run ads in the Denver Post, seek out every
recruiter they can find (and 'stiff' some on them on respective recruiting
fees)
In addition, some companies do not have Human Resource people who are
capable of making comparative wage studies. Interesting enough, the local
governments i.e. The City and County of Denver via their career service
division and others, compare wages for each position they fill. Yet others,
including many tech companies in the DTC area do not. Ergo, if a TW really
needs work they can find it at $20 per hour or they can try and squeeze past
the mob and land a job that pays rates comparable to other cities.
Furthermore, the practice of hiring interns from the local schools puts
downward pressure on wages. Lucent technologies will hire interns that would
fit the profile of the lady mentioned in this thread, to flesh out a staff
of TWs for a specific project, at almost zero pay, then perhaps hire her at
very low entry wages. Or run through the same process again, with Interns
and their limited staff or contract TWs.