RE: Techies vs Usability

Subject: RE: Techies vs Usability
From: Kathleen Kuvinka <kkuvinka -at- epicor -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:46:39 -0800

> Look at Tech Writer projects. The ones that I have seen fail
> failed because
> of poor end-user analysis and estimating. Yet, if you were
> to look at
> hundreds of on-line TW job listings (try www.dice.com) you
> will find that
> few ask for skills in either of these areas.

You don't always see these important skills listed for management positions,
either. Must go without saying.

> If effective user analysis is easy, why is software so widely
> recognized as
> being very hard to use? Companies put little emphasis on
> end-user analysis
> because they know that they can not do it effectively.

I don't think this is quite right. First of all, technology changes so
quickly and competition is so intense that end-user analysis is a luxury few
can afford. I also doubt that companies "know that they can not do it
effectively." They probably don't even know it exists, or they think they
are doing it through Marketing and Product Management.