terminology

Subject: terminology
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:46:13 -0500

Lots of thanks to everyone who responded. Most people said to just mention
that the number is entered to two decimal places. Others questioned whether we
needed to say anything - the system should be intuitive. Here's the final
decision.

The system is intuitive, in that if I enter 25, it will automatically convert
it to 25.00 . The biggest concern was with entering percentages. We were
worried that the user would enter the numbers in decimal format - since that is
what they currently do. Therefore, we need to tell them that six percent is
entered as 6, not as .06.

I decided that I don't want to mention the format for all the screens in the
system (of which there are many). Therefore, I am going to cover off numerical
formats in the Conventions Used portion in the Overview section of the User
Guide.

Many thanks again for all the suggestions!

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com
DISCLAIMER:
Any opinions expressed are MY opinions.
Feel free to have your own.
Let's agree to disagree