Re: XML

Subject: Re: XML
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 12:22:58 +0100

>Actually, this is part of my question as well. The client is using Frame and
>there is a discussion now about moving the whole thing to XML to allow
>chunking of the docs for re-usability.

I think there's more to "going XML" than choosing an editor (I use XMetaL
BTW, http://www.sq.com but Frame has an XML extension).

XML is a tool to record how you organize your document. The theory is that,
if you organize your document correctly, then you can do many nice things
such as reuse. Yes some companies do it, including one of my customer. Of
course, if you fail to organize, XML won't help.

Upgrading writers from a Pentium to a Pentium III won't improve the
documentation. Investing in writers, which may include upgrading PCs and
trainings may improve it.

You might want to read:

- $GML - The Billion Dollar Secret by Chen Ensign, essentially 5 case
studies on how some companies have solve their information management
problem with SGML (but it could have been XML).
Managerial level book (not technical at all);

- DocBook: the Definitive Guide by Norman Walsh and Leonard Muellner, its
technical counterpart describes DocBook, one XML vocabulary that is often
used for technical documentation.
Technical book.

--ben
Benoît Marchal, Pineapplesoft

As e-commerce Grows, Understanding XML Becomes a Key Job Skill
XML by Example / $24.99 / ISBN 0-7897-2242-9 / www.worth-it.com