RE: any cons to single sourcing?

Subject: RE: any cons to single sourcing?
From: Melanie Shook <mshook -at- com2001 -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:03:21 -0800

Snipped from<[mailto:Barb -dot- Hyde -at- tulsa -dot- cistech -dot- com]
Nothing is more frustrating than this scenario: I am learning to use a new
tool and need information. I look through the Help and other online
information, but don't find what I need. Then I turn to the paper guide only
to find it contains exactly the same material as the Help.>

The information need not be "exactly the same." If you use Frame's
conditional text, you can hide what you don't want to show, and add what you
do want to show, for paper and online versions. So, your online help could
be a subset of what is in the paper version, with some added links for
usability. The point is that *much* of the information in online and paper
versions is the same - why do the same work twice, and have to update it
twice?

Melanie Shook
Technical Writer
COM2001.com