Re: Online Help or just Help?

Subject: Re: Online Help or just Help?
From: "Chris Jackson" <crassick -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Gayle C. Edlin" <gayle -at- nmt -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:17:02 -0500

"Help" on its on seems ambiguous, though it seems to be used within the
profession to mean onscreen help included with an application. And, these
days, "online help" would seem to refer more to "web help" (help via a web
site). I have used "onscreen help," but that's not much better. I don't
like "application help" because it sounds clunky, but it would seem to be
more accurate. At this point, I'm using "application help" and "web help"
to differentiate. I guess a manual might be labeled "print help" or "paper

I'm open to better alternatives.

Chris Jackson

>From: "Gayle C. Edlin" <gayle -at- nmt -dot- com>

>I've noticed that "Online Help" is frequently referred to as just "Help."
>I'd like to know how other technical writers refer to Help systems, and why!
>I'd be happy to post a summary if anyone (besides me) is interested.

Previous by Author: Re: Hotlinks to Figure Tags in PDF files
Next by Author: Re: Transcribing videotape
Previous by Thread: Online Help or just Help?
Next by Thread: Freelance editing rates?

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads