RE: Needing to get RoboHelp

Subject: RE: Needing to get RoboHelp
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Kay Robart" <kay -dot- robart -at- integratedconcepts -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:18:23 -0800

Kay Robart wrote:

| However, I would imagine that offering a copy of RoboHelp 2000
| being sold on
| an
| auction site is an illegal sale, as I don't think software
| licenses usually
| allow resale.
| Any opinions on this? Are there actually software vendors legally using
| auction sites?

It's extremely unlikely that Blue Sky is selling the software. The seller is
most likely someone with a copy of RoboHELP that is no longer needed. As
long as the product is not marked "NOT FOR RESALE," this is legal. Many
software vendors, including Blue Sky, permit users to sell the software to
another person provided they don't keep copies. You have to check the
license agreement for the package in question. The RoboHELP license
agreement says:

"You may transfer the Software and Documentation to a single recipient on a
permanent basis provided you retain no copies of the Software or
Documentation (including backup or archival copies) and the recipient agrees
to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If the Software is an
upgrade, any transfer must include all prior versions of the Software and
Documentation."

I am, of course, not an attorney and am not providing a legal opinion. ;)

HTH ...

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415.550.8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer