RE: PDFs/self-extracting .exe

Subject: RE: PDFs/self-extracting .exe
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 15:50:39 -0600

Greetings -

I think that Graham wants the PDF file to be usable (viewable, that is) on a
computer which does not have Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Acrobat Reader on it.
Sort of like building the viewer into the PDF file itself. AFAIK, this is
not possible - you *must* have Acrobat or Acrobat Reader or some other
PDF-capable viewer installed on the machine to look at a PDF.

You could bundle the PDF and Acrobat Reader into a self-executing ZIP as
Jennifer suggests (the reader is, I believe, freely available) and that
might do the trick for you. I believe that when making a self-executable
you can also specify a program to run within the archive upon extraction, so
you could have it self-extract and then run Acrobat Reader automatically.

Hope this helps!

-Chris Grant
TWIT
cgrant -at- glhec -dot- org