Re: Polite international e-mail

Subject: Re: Polite international e-mail
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 14:20:32 -0500

Chris Kowalchuk wrote:

> My point is that the ASCII set, which is the basis of "plain text"
> includes the most common (maybe all, but I don't know) accented
> characters for Western European languages.

No, it doesn't. The ASCII standard defines only 128 characters. Various
systems define all 256 possible values of a byte, and PC users routinely
mis-label the 256-character PC set "ASCII", but this is an error.

RFC 2277 is a "best current practices" document on character set usage
on the Internet:

ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2277.txt

As I read it, UTF-8 should be supported. That gives you quite a bit of
flexibility, but is different from the PC's extended ASCII stuff.