Re: Converting to text

Subject: Re: Converting to text
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "Jason Willebeek-LeMair" <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 11:33:06 -0500

Jason Willebeek-LeMair wrote

> Or, write an XSLT (which is free) to translate the XML to text with the
> appropriate formatting.
> Mark Baker wrote:
>
> <snip/>
>
> Write an OmniMark program to translate the XML to text with the
> appropriate
> formatting.

OmniMark is free, and much more powerful and easy to use than XSLT.

For example, the RTF2XML program I mentioned is written in OmniMark. You
can't do RTF to XML (or anything else to XML) with XSLT. XSLT has many
weaknesses, and no advantages over Perl, Python, OmniMark, Java, or just
about any other full programming language that either has a parser built in
(as does OmniMark) or can interface to a parser.