Re: Converting to text

Subject: Re: Converting to text
From: "Sandy Harris" <sharris -at- dkl -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:46:58 -0500

Ruth Lundquist wrote:

> I've asked this before, I'll ask it again (in hopes that someone has
> invented some new whiz-bang gizmo):
>
> Does anyone know of a macro, tool, program, utility, potion, magic spell,
> and/or sacrificial offering that will convert a Word document to *readable*
> text?

I'd try printing (not saving) to a text file first.

Then I'd try a sequence of actions. Word: save as HTML. Then go to w3c.org
and get either the HTML Tidy utility or the Amaya browser/editor. Both are
free and either will clean most of the MS-rubbish(TM) out of the HTML files.

Then grab a copy of the Lynx text-only browser. Standard in any Linux or
[Net|Free|Open]BSD distribution and available as free source. I've no idea
if it is available for Windoze or Mac. Then use the lynx command to get
plain text output. lynx -d or lynx --dump or ... I don't recall exactly.